How can I update or ask about an IRCC application in progress?
Follow these tips to track, update or change information about an application in progress.
Check the status of your application
Find out how to check if we received your application.
We’ll send you your application number by mail or email when:
- we made sure your application is complete
- we begin processing your application
Once you have your application number, you can check the status of your application. There are a few ways you can do that, depending on if you applied online or on paper.
Update your application
If we need more information to process your application, we’ll contact you by mail, email or through your account.
If you have a question about our request, you can:
- send us your question through our Web form, or
- ask your question through your online account (if you have one). Upload a document with your question in place of the document we asked for
Make sure you keep your contact information updated. This way, we can contact you if we need to.
Change your mailing address
There are different ways of changing your address depending on your type of application and where you applied from.
Find out how to change your address.
Change other information
You must use our Web form to tell us about changes to your situation, even if you applied online.
Examples of changes include:
- marriage or divorce
- birth or adoption of a child
- death of an applicant or dependant
- changes that could affect your eligibility for the program you’re applying for, including changes in your:
- job situation
- language skills
- contact information updates, including:
- phone number
If you change your contact information, make sure you check your old contact information until we update your application.
Don’t mail us changes for your contact or application information. If you do, we won’t acknowledge your request and we won’t update your application. This could lead to a delay in processing your application.
Answers others found useful
- If you return my application, will I get a refund?
- How do I fill out an application?
- How can I check if my application has been received?
- What happens after I send in my application?
- What is a UCI?
- What is my client ID?
- How can I come to Canada as a visitor, worker or student?
- How do I submit my application?
- What do you mean by surname?
- How can I find a doctor to provide my medical exam?
- How can I get my application processed urgently?
- How can I get help with my application?
- If my visa, work or study permit application is refused, will I have to give biometrics for my next application?
- I submitted my application with the old permanent residence fees. Will my application be rejected or returned?
- I submitted my application and paid the processing fee before April 30, 2020. I haven’t paid the right of permanent residence fee (RPRF) yet. Do I pay the old or new RPRF fee?
- Date modified: