Who decides if a refugee can be sponsored and resettled?
The sponsor will present the name of a refugee or refugee family it would like to sponsor. One of our officers will decide if a group has set up the supports it needs to be a sponsor.
The United Nations Refugee Agency, other referral organizations and private sponsorship groups identify and refer refugees to be resettled in Canada.
A Canadian visa officer will then decide if the person identified
- meets the requirements to be resettled, and
- will be admitted to Canada.
Answers others found useful
- Who is eligible for sponsorship under the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program?
- Who can sponsor a refugee?
- How long does it take before a privately sponsored refugee gets to Canada?
- What kind of support do government-assisted refugees get?
- Date modified: