How long does it take before a privately sponsored refugee gets to Canada?
It depends. Processing times vary based on where the refugee comes from and how complex the case is. You can check the application processing times on our website.
In some regions, interviews can be complicated because visa officers cannot physically reach the refugees. It can also be difficult to get documents (including proof of identity) or to identify a person’s family members.
How quickly we can process applications also depends on:
- how many applications we get
- security in the region and
- how quickly we can complete requirements such as security screening and medical exams.
Because of this, some cases may take longer to process than others.
To help us process these applications faster, sponsoring groups should:
- include all relevant documents and
make sure all contact information is accurate and up to date for both the sponsoring group and the refugee(s) they are sponsoring.
Answers others found useful
- Who is eligible for sponsorship under the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program?
- Who can sponsor a refugee?
- Who decides whether a refugee can be sponsored and resettled?
- What kind of support do government-assisted refugees get?
- Date modified: