Help Centre what do you need help with?

I am a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. (Green Card holder). Do I need an eTA?

Yes. All lawful permanent residents of the U.S. need an eTA to fly to, or transit through, a Canadian airport.

If you enter Canada by car, bus, train or boat (including cruise ship), you don’t need an eTA but you always need to carry proof of U.S. lawful permanent resident status, such as your valid Green Card or a valid Alien Documentation Identification and Telecommunications System (ADIT) stamp.

On the eTA application, enter your Green Card number or your ADIT stamp number in the field:

United States lawful permanent resident alien registration card (Green Card) number

What to bring to the airport

The eTA is electronically linked to that passport. There is no need to print anything.

However, to board your flight to Canada you need:

  • the passport you used to apply for your eTA (i.e. the valid passport from your country of nationality), and
  • proof of U.S. lawful permanent resident status, such as:
    • your valid Green Card, or
    • your valid ADIT stamp in your passport.

When you check in for your flight, the airline will confirm that you have an eTA and proof of status in the U.S. When you get to Canada, a border services officer will also verify these documents.

NOTE: If you get a new passport after receiving an eTA, you need to apply for a new eTA.

Answers others found useful


  • Come to Canada

How to videos

Glossary term

Date modified: