Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

What work experience can I count towards the Federal Skilled Trades Program’s two-year requirement?

In the Federal Skilled Trades program, work experience in a trade can only count if you are qualified to independently practice that trade in the region where you got your work experience.

If you are qualified in one country, you might work in another country that has different rules for practicing your trade. In that case, the work experience from the second country will only count towards the two-year work experience requirement if you also met the requirements to practice there independently.

For example, if you are a plumber from Germany and worked for one year in Poland, you need to prove that you were certified to be a plumber in Germany, and that you were qualified to work in Poland according to Polish regulations at the time for this work experience to count.

Answers others found useful


  • Come to Canada

How to videos

Glossary term

Date modified: