Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I have been working in Canada for the last six months but didn’t get points for work experience. Why not?

Under the Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), to be awarded points for skilled work experience, you must have been:

  • legally allowed to work in Canada in one or more jobs listed in TEER Category 0, 1, 2 or 3 of the National Occupational Classification;
  • working full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), meaning 30 hours of work per week, and
  • working for at least one year in the 10-year period before the day we assign you points.

We do not count work experience if you were:

  • studying full-time while you were working,
  • self-employed, or
  • not legally allowed to work in Canada.

Please note: Work experience does not need to be continuous to get points under the CRS. But, to qualify under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you must have at least one year of continuous full-time paid work experience, either in Canada or abroad.

Answers others found useful


  • Come to Canada

How to videos

Glossary term

Date modified: