Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I’m sponsoring my spouse or common-law partner who is in Canada. Can they work while their application is being processed?

Yes, but only if they have a work permit.

If you’re sponsoring your spouse or partner under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class, they can apply for an open work permit if Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has confirmed that their application for permanent residence is complete.

Remember that while your spouse or partner’s permanent residence application is being processed, they must

  • maintain legal status as a temporary resident in Canada and
  • wait for their work permit application to be approved before starting to work
    • If they already have a work permit that is expiring, they can keep working as long as they maintain their status as a worker.

How to apply for this open work permit 

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: