How do I change the sex or gender identifier on my application or document?
This depends on why you want to make the change:
We made a mistake recording your gender.
Visitor visa, work or study permit, Record of Landing, confirmation of Permanent Residence
Complete a Request to Amend Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Valid Temporary Resident Documents to correct the mistake.
Permanent Resident Card
Canadian citizenship certificate
Ask to have it replaced if it has been 90 days or less since you got your certificate. Find out how to request a replacement.
Contact the Passport Program.
You identify as a different gender than the one on your document.
As of June 4, 2019, you have three gender identifier options:
- ‘F’ for Female
- ‘M’ for Male
- ‘X’ for Another Gender
Follow the instructions below for the document(s) you would like to update.
Work permit, study permit, visa or eTA
You can’t change the gender identifier on your permit, visa or eTA. You must apply for a new document.
The gender identifier on your permit, visa or eTA must match the sex on the passport or travel document you provide with your application. First, update the sex on your foreign passport or travel document, and then apply for a new visa, permit or eTA.
Find out how to submit your application for a new:
Permanent Resident Card
You can apply for a new PR card and submit the form, Request for a Change of Sex or Gender Identifier [CIT 0404] (PDF 1.52MB).
If your PR card remains valid for 6 months or longer and you are only changing your gender to ‘X’, you don’t have to pay any fees.
Application for citizenship
Submit the Request form for a Change of Sex or Gender Identifier [CIT 0404] (PDF 1.52 MB) with your application if:
- you would like to use a different gender on your application for citizenship than the one on your immigration document, or
- you are applying for your first citizenship certificate and your gender is different from what is on your birth certificate, or
- you need to change the gender on your citizenship certificate. If you are changing your gender identifier to ‘X’, and this is the only change you are making, you don’t have to pay any fees.
See your instruction guide for more information.
Canadian passports or travel documents
Answers others found useful
- Do I need to notify IRCC of a change of sex or gender identifier?
- Do I have to be a Canadian citizen to change the sex or gender identifier on my document?
- Will changing the gender identifier affect the decision on my citizenship application?
- Can I apply to change both my name and gender identifier at the same time on my documents?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: