What does current or previous undertaking mean on my sponsorship application?
This refers to the sponsorship application you (the sponsor) and your co-signer (if this applies) are currently preparing.
The undertaking includes all the people listed on the application, even if they’re not all coming to Canada.
If we approve the application, the undertaking will come into effect once the people you’re sponsoring become permanent residents.
This refers to
- undertakings still in effect and
- undertakings not yet in effect.
If we return or refuse an application, there is no undertaking.
Previous undertakings still in effect
This refers to any sponsorship applications we approved where
- you (or your co-signer, if you have one) are listed as either a sponsor or co-signer, and
- the people you sponsored became permanent residents
The undertaking stays in effect until it expires, even if the people you sponsored
- leave Canada or
- become Canadian citizens
Undertaking not yet in effect
This refers to the people on sponsorship applications that we
- are processing, where you (or your co-signer, if you have one) are listed as either a sponsor or co-signer, or
- approved, but the sponsored people have not yet become permanent residents
Their undertaking comes into effect if
- we approve the application and
- the people you’re sponsoring become permanent residents
This applies if:
- you’re submitting 2 sponsorship applications at the same time, or
- you and your co-signer each submit a sponsorship application
Length of undertaking
The length of undertaking depends on
- who you sponsored or co-signed an application for, and
- when you sponsored them
Answers others found useful
- What is a complex family sponsorship application?
- For my IRCC spousal sponsorship application, what is a common-law partner?
- What are the changes to the spousal sponsorship program?
- Am I affected by the changes made to reduce spousal sponsorship wait times?
- How can I sponsor my spouse or children?
- Which family members can come with me to Canada when I immigrate?
- How can I include a dependent child on my application?
- I already became a permanent resident. Can I still add my dependent child to my application?
- What counts as income for sponsoring my parents and grandparents?
- What’s considered social assistance when sponsoring my parents and grandparents?
- What proof do I need for changes to my information after I was invited to apply to sponsor my parents?
- What if my birth certificate is different from other documents (or I don’t have one)?
- I was invited to apply to sponsor my parents, but didn’t get an email confirmation. How do I get it?
- On the interest to sponsor form I only mentioned one parent. Can I now apply to sponsor them both?
- Will you refuse my application if I put a different parent than on my interest to sponsor form?
- Do I need a marriage certificate for my parents/grandparents sponsorship application?
- I’m sponsoring my parent. I don’t know where their separated spouse is. How do I apply?
- Do I include time on parental leave in my employment history for sponsoring my parents?
- What do I put for the date of birth (or death) of my family member if I don’t know it?
- How can I quickly get information about my Canadian citizenship to sponsor parents/grandparents?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: