I am coming to Canada as a privately sponsored refugee, and I am bringing some of my own money with me. Does my sponsor get any of this money?
No, you do not need to make any payment for your sponsorship application. However, after you arrive in Canada, sponsors may expect you to contribute to your own settlement costs from the funds you bring with you.
Quebec has its own process to sponsor refugees. This means that the rules private sponsors in Quebec must follow are different from the rest of Canada. If your sponsor is from Quebec and you have questions, contact Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion. This is the part of the Quebec provincial government that deals with immigration.
Answers others found useful
- Who is eligible for sponsorship under the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program?
- Who can sponsor a refugee?
- How long does it take before a privately sponsored refugee gets to Canada?
- Who decides whether a refugee can be sponsored and resettled?
- What kind of support do government-assisted refugees get?
- Date modified: