Will it delay my application if I add a dependent child to my application?
Yes. Processing time for your application will take longer because we need to process your request to add your dependant and check if your child is eligible to come to Canada with you.
To reduce delays, send us the information we need to process your dependent child as soon as possible.
If you don’t want a processing delay for your application, there are other ways your dependant could come to Canada:
- your child can apply for permanent residence on their own
- your child can visit you in Canada
- you can sponsor your child once you become a permanent resident of Canada if:
Answers others found useful
- What is a complex family sponsorship application?
- For my IRCC spousal sponsorship application, what is a common-law partner?
- What are the changes to the spousal sponsorship program?
- Am I affected by the changes made to reduce spousal sponsorship wait times?
- How can I sponsor my spouse or children?
- Which family members can come with me to Canada when I immigrate?
- How can I include a dependent child on my application?
- I already became a permanent resident. Can I still add my dependent child to my application?
- What counts as income for sponsoring my parents and grandparents?
- What’s considered social assistance when sponsoring my parents and grandparents?
- What proof do I need for changes to my information after I was invited to apply to sponsor my parents?
- What if my birth certificate is different from other documents (or I don’t have one)?
- I was invited to apply to sponsor my parents, but didn’t get an email confirmation. How do I get it?
- On the interest to sponsor form I only mentioned one parent. Can I now apply to sponsor them both?
- Will you refuse my application if I put a different parent than on my interest to sponsor form?
- Do I need a marriage certificate for my parents/grandparents sponsorship application?
- I’m sponsoring my parent. I don’t know where their separated spouse is. How do I apply?
- Do I include time on parental leave in my employment history for sponsoring my parents?
- What do I put for the date of birth (or death) of my family member if I don’t know it?
- How can I quickly get information about my Canadian citizenship to sponsor parents/grandparents?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: