I’m applying for a work permit under the GSS. Do I need include a police certificate?
It depends on where you are applying from. Many of our visa offices abroad have specific instructions that you need to follow. To find out if you need a police certificate:
- Go to the work permit application.
- Select the country or territory you are applying from.
- Download the country-specific “visa office requirements” from the list of documents, if there are any.
Visa office instructions are specific to your location and will tell you if you need a police certificate.
If your police certificate is not in English or French you must get a certified translation and include it in your application, even if the visa office requirements say we accept other languages.
If you can’t get a police certificate, include an explanation and any supporting documents with your application. We will review your explanation and let you know if we need more information.
If you need a police certificate but don’t include it with your application, it may take longer than two weeks to process your application.
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: