There’s a specific occupation on my co-op or post-graduation work permit. Can I work in a different field?
It depends on where the occupation information is on your work permit.
If the occupation is under Additional Information
You can work in any field. You don’t need to apply to change your work permit. If you have a co-op work permit, your work must be required to complete your study program.
If the occupation is under Conditions or Remarks/Observations
You must work in the field listed on your permit. You must apply to change the conditions of your work permit if you want to work in a different occupation. To do this, you’ll need to apply for a new work permit from within Canada. Select “Inside Canada” to find out how you can apply for your new permit. Include a letter explaining why you need the condition removed from your work permit with your application.
Answers others found useful
- Do I need a permit to study in Canada?
- I am an international student in Canada. Can I work while studying?
- As a foreign student, can I return home or travel outside Canada while studying?
- When should I apply for my study permit?
- How do I apply for a study permit?
- I’ve applied to extend my study permit. Can I travel outside Canada and be able to return?
- I want to change my school or study program. How can I change my study permit?
Form and guide
- Date modified: