Will it take longer to process my application because I have to give biometrics?
COVID 19: Biometrics deadline
Some biometrics collection sites are closed. If the site closest to you is closed, we’ll extend your deadline to give your biometrics. Find out how COVID 19 is affecting biometrics.
It depends on the type of application.
For visitor visa, study or work permit applicants:
- The time it takes you to give your biometrics isn’t included in the application processing time.
- The sooner you provide your biometrics, the sooner we can start processing your application.
- Pay the biometrics fee when you submit your application to get the instruction letter as soon as possible. This letter is what allows you to go give your biometrics at an official collection point.
- After we send you a request, you have up to 30 days to submit your biometrics.
For most permanent resident applicants:
- The time it takes you to give your biometrics is included in the application processing time.
For all applications, give us your biometrics as quickly as possible. You can only give your biometrics after you pay the biometrics fee and we send you the letter that tells you how and where to give your biometrics.
If there is no biometric service available where you live, you may need extra time to travel to a service location. Find the location closest to you.
Answers others found useful
- If you return my application, will I get a refund?
- How do I fill out an application?
- How can I check if my application has been received?
- What happens after I send in my application?
- What is a UCI?
- What is my client ID?
- How can I come to Canada as a visitor, worker or student?
- How do I submit my application?
- What do you mean by surname?
- How can I find a doctor to provide my medical exam?
- How can I get my application processed urgently?
- How can I get help with my application?
- If my visa, work or study permit application is refused, will I have to give biometrics for my next application?
- I submitted my application with the old permanent residence fees. Will my application be rejected or returned?
- I submitted my application and paid the processing fee before April 30, 2020. I haven’t paid the right of permanent residence fee (RPRF) yet. Do I pay the old or new RPRF fee?
- Date modified: