How much income do I need to sponsor my parents and grandparents?
You, the sponsor (and your co-signer, if you have one) must prove you have enough income to support all the people you’ll be financially responsible for once you become a sponsor. This includes yourself.
If you’re invited to apply, you have to provide proof that you meet the income requirements for each of the 3 tax years before the date you apply.
We can’t assess whether you meet the income requirements until you apply (if you’re invited).
Note: Because the program has opened later than usual this year, sponsors will be invited to apply near the end of the year so we expect to get applications in early 2021 (likely January and February). Because of this, we’ll assess sponsors on their income for tax years 2020, 2019 and 2018.
We know you may not get your 2020 Notice of Assessment (NOA) until after you apply. So, for the 2020 process, we’ll accept your application if you include your 2019 and 2018 NOAs along with it, and submit your 2020 NOA as soon as it’s available.
This table applies to you if you live in any province except Quebec. If you live in Quebec, the Quebec ministry in charge of immigration will assess your income.
Income required for the 3 tax years right before the day you apply (sponsors applying in 2021)
|Total number of people you’ll be responsible for||2020Footnote 1||2019Footnote 1||2018Footnote 1|
|If more than 7 people, for each additional person, add:||$7,121||$8,876||$8,740|
Since many sponsors may have been affected financially by the COVID-19 pandemic, the income requirement for the 2020 tax year has been reduced to the minimum necessary income, instead of the minimum necessary income plus 30%.
Note: This does not affect the income requirements for the 2019 and 2018 tax years.
Answers others found useful
- What is a complex family sponsorship application?
- For my IRCC spousal sponsorship application, what is a common-law partner?
- What are the changes to the spousal sponsorship program?
- Am I affected by the changes made to reduce spousal sponsorship wait times?
- How can I sponsor my spouse or children?
- Which family members can come with me to Canada when I immigrate?
- How can I include a dependent child on my application?
- I already became a permanent resident. Can I still add my dependent child to my application?
- My courier did not deliver my PGP application to your PO Box. What should I do?
- Date modified: