Why would I give up my permanent resident status?
There are different reasons why you may want to give up (renounce) your PR status.
- you don’t want to live in Canada permanently
- you only want to visit Canada
- you haven’t lived in Canada long enough to keep your PR status
- you want to be a citizen or permanent resident in another country and they need you to renounce your status
- you want to apply for a temporary resident visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
- you need to give up your PR status to accept a diplomatic or official position with a foreign government
Answers others found useful
- What happens if my PR card expires while I am outside Canada?
- I’m a new permanent resident of Canada. Do I need to apply for a PR card?
- How long will it take to process my PR card?
- I need to leave Canada and I do not have a PR card. Can I later re-enter Canada?
- How do I renew my PR card?
- Date modified: