Help Centre what do you need help with?

My IEC work permit is expiring. Can I stay in Canada if I apply to extend my stay?

You can stay in Canada if you have what’s called implied status. This means the law considers you a temporary resident until we make a decision on your application.

Who has implied status

You have implied status if, before your work permit expires, you apply:

Applying for a new IEC participation?

You’re not eligible for implied status if you apply for a new IEC participation. If you want to stay in Canada while you wait for a decision on your new IEC participation, you must apply to extend your stay as a visitor before your work permit expires. However, you can’t continue working.

Who doesn’t have implied status

You don’t have implied status if you:

  • apply to extend your IEC participation after your work permit expires
    • you must stop working on the day your work permit expires
  • apply for a new IEC participation
  • submitted your profile to an IEC pool and are waiting for an invitation to apply
  • apply to extend your stay as a student or visitor after your work permit expires

Find out what to do if your work permit expired before you applied to extend it.

Who can work under implied status

If you have implied status, you can keep working if you’ve applied to extend your stay in Canada as a worker. However, you can only keep working:

  • for the same employer
  • under the same conditions, and
  • if you stay in Canada

If you applied for a different type of permit, like a study permit, you can stay in Canada under implied status but you can’t keep working.

Answers others found useful

Date modified: