My IEC work permit is expiring. Can I stay in Canada if I apply to extend my stay?
You can stay in Canada if you have what’s called implied status. This means the law considers you a temporary resident until we make a decision on your application.
Who has implied status
You have implied status if, before your work permit expires, you apply:
- to extend your current IEC participation
- for another type of work permit that is not an IEC work permit, such as:
- to extend your stay as a student
- to extend your stay as a visitor
Applying for a new IEC participation?
You’re not eligible for implied status if you apply for a new IEC participation. If you want to stay in Canada while you wait for a decision on your new IEC participation, you must apply to extend your stay as a visitor before your work permit expires. However, you can’t continue working.
Who doesn’t have implied status
You don’t have implied status if you:
- apply to extend your IEC participation after your work permit expires
- you must stop working on the day your work permit expires
- apply for a new IEC participation
- submitted your profile to an IEC pool and are waiting for an invitation to apply
- apply to extend your stay as a student or visitor after your work permit expires
Find out what to do if your work permit expired before you applied to extend it.
Who can work under implied status
If you have implied status, you can keep working if you’ve applied to extend your stay in Canada as a worker. However, you can only keep working:
- for the same employer
- under the same conditions, and
- if you stay in Canada
If you applied for a different type of permit, like a study permit, you can stay in Canada under implied status but you can’t keep working.
Answers others found useful
- Can I come to Canada before I receive my POE Letter?
- What type of insurance do I need for International Experience Canada?
- Can I change employers if I have an International Experience Canada work permit?
- Can I extend my International Experience Canada work permit?
- Can I stay in Canada as a tourist after my work permit expires?
- Date modified: