Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

How do I replace my Refugee Protection Claimant Document?

What you do depends on the decision made on your refugee claim or Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA).

Your claim was refused

You can’t get a replacement RPCD if:

  • Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) refused your PRRA

Your claim or PRRA was approved

You may not need a replacement RPCD if:

  • the IRB approved your refugee claim
  • we approved your PRRA

You can apply for permanent residence right away.

You can apply for provincial or territorial healthcare coverage while we process your permanent residence application. If your province or territory refused your application for health coverage, you can apply for a replacement RPCD and use it to apply again.

Your application is still being reviewed

If the IRB is still reviewing your refugee claim or you are waiting for a decision on your PRRA, you can apply for a replacement RPCD at one of our offices.

If you know or suspect that someone stole your RPCD, file a police report at your local police station before you apply for a replacement.

Apply for a replacement RPCD

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Safety measures

We aren’t replacing RPCDs right now. Expired RPCDs should be considered valid until further notice.

Get services if your refugee documents are expired, lost or were stolen

If you are eligible to apply for a replacement RPCD, go to one of our offices with

  • your expired RPCD (if not lost or stolen)
  • 2 recent passport-size photographs
  • proof of address (such as a driver’s licence, utility bill or other document showing your address)
  • the police report (if your RPCD was stolen)
  • your refusal letter (if you applied for health coverage)

There is no fee to replace an RPCD.

In most cases, new RPCDs are valid for 4 years.

Processing times for replacement RPCDs depend on the office you visit. When possible, we will give you your new RPCD right away, but we may mail it to you or ask you to come back later.

Answers others found useful

Date modified: