Can I change my status to visitor if I need more time to extend my study or work permit?
You can apply to change your status to visitor, but once your current study or work permit expires, you won’t be able to apply for a new study or work permit from within Canada. This means it won’t give you more time to extend your study or work permit.
Most visitors aren’t eligible to apply for a study or work permit from within Canada. If you change your status to visitor, you may have to leave Canada to apply for a new study or work permit.
Because of this, we strongly recommend you don’t change your status to visitor if you need more time to apply for your permit.
Make sure you know when your current permit expires and apply at least 30 days before it does.
Answers others found useful
- Do I need a permit to study in Canada?
- I am an international student in Canada. Can I work while studying?
- As a foreign student, can I return home or travel outside Canada while studying?
- When should I apply for my study permit?
- How do I apply for a study permit?
- I’ve applied to extend my study permit. Can I travel outside Canada and be able to return?
- I want to change my school or study program. How can I change my study permit?
- What do I do if the school I’m studying at loses its designated learning institution status?
Form and guide
- Date modified: