I have an open work permit because my spouse is working/studying in Canada. For how long is my permit valid?
Normally, your work permit is valid for the same amount of time that your spouse or common-law partner’s work permit or study permit is valid. Your work permit will stay valid for that entire period even if
- your spouse or common-law partner’s situation changes, for example
- they lose their job
- they complete their studies early
- you divorce or separate
If these situations apply to you, you won’t be able to extend this work permit when it expires, but you may be eligible for another type of work permit.
See also: What do I need to work in Canada?
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
- Can I hold 2 valid work permits at the same time?
- Date modified: