How do I update my citizenship certificate or card with my reclaimed Indigenous name?
If you’ve reclaimed your Indigenous name, you can change the name on your citizenship certificate or card. To do that, apply for a new citizenship certificate. There will be no cost for this change until May 30, 2026.
We no longer give out citizenship cards or the commemorative certificates that came with them. If you apply to update or replace your citizenship card, we will send you a citizenship certificate.
When you apply, include either an eligibility form or a statutory declaration, depending on your situation.
Include an eligibility form [IRM 0004] (PDF, 1.8 MB) if you either
- amended your birth certificate or
- obtained a legal change of name document
Include a Statutory Declaration [IRM 0005] (PDF, 1.8 MB) if you
- are applying for a free replacement certificate and
- can’t amend your birth certificate or obtain a legal change of name document
- You’ll also need to include proof that you can’t obtain these documents (for example, a rejection letter from your province or territory).
We’ll use these forms to determine if you’re eligible for a free replacement certificate.
You’ll have to pay the usual fees if
- you’re applying for your first citizenship certificate
- you’ve declared your citizenship certificate lost, stolen or damaged
Apply for a citizenship certificate.
This is a response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s calls to action (PDF, 298.56 KB). Learn more about our response to Call to Action 17.
Answers others found useful
- What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen?
- I already have a citizenship application in process. How will the 2015 changes to the citizenship legislation affect my application?
- Do I become a Canadian when I marry a Canadian?
- How much does it cost to apply for Canadian citizenship?
- I am a citizen of another country. Will I lose that citizenship if I become a Canadian?
- What can I do if my citizenship application is refused?
- What should I do if I missed my citizenship test?
- Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
- What is a non-routine citizenship application?
- Do I have to use the travel journal?
- If I’m applying for citizenship, do I still have to submit the physical presence calculator if I submit the travel journal?
- If I’m transferring through different countries at the airport, or by car or train, do I need to record it in my travel journal?
- How do I get more copies of the travel journal?
- My application has been returned, because it’s incomplete. Do I have to recalculate my physical presence (time lived in Canada)?
Form and guide
- Date modified: