Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

I live abroad and applied online. How will I get my citizenship certificate?

If you asked for an electronic certificate (e-certificate) in your application

A link with instructions to access to your e-certificate will be available in your IRCC secure account(opens in a new tab) .

If you asked for a paper certificate in your application

If your mailing address is in the United States, we’ll mail your citizenship certificate to the address in your application.

If your mailing address is outside Canada and the United States

  • we will not send the certificate directly to you
  • when you apply online, you can choose the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate office near you
    • Some of these offices do not have citizenship services. If the office that you want is not on the list in your online application, you have 2 options:
      • choose a different office, for example, the next closest office to your region, or
      • contact the office in your area to help you choose
  • we’ll send the certificate to the office you choose
  • the office will contact you and tell you how to get your certificate

Answers others found useful


Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: