I got a new passport but I have a valid visa in my old one. Can I use the visa in my old passport?
Yes. To travel to Canada using a valid visa in an old passport, you need to bring both
- your old passport with the valid visa
- You may need to explain why your old passport isn’t valid.
- your new valid passport or travel document
Even though you can use a valid visa in an old passport, we recommend that you get a new visa in your valid passport to avoid delays at the border.
Answers others found useful
- Do I need a visa to visit Canada?
- Do I need a Canadian visa if I have a United States visa?
- How do I apply for an eTA for travel to Canada?
- I am visiting the U.S. I want to come to Canada. Do I need an eTA?
- Do I need a visa if I am travelling through Canada without stopping or visiting?
- How do I help a family member or friend apply to visit Canada?
- I am travelling with my minor child without my spouse. What documents must I present?
- What’s the difference between a visitor visa and a visitor record?
- Do I need to apply for both a visitor visa and an eTA?
- Date modified: