Can I apply for a work permit when I enter Canada?
COVID-19: Most people can’t apply at the port of entry
Most people can’t apply for a work permit or give their biometrics at a Canadian port of entry right now due to travel restrictions.
You can only apply at the port of entry if you meet all of these conditions:
- you’re entering Canada from the United States where you’ve been living for the last 14 days or more
- you cannot travel from inside Canada to the port of entry (in other words, you cannot “flagpole”)
- you have a plan to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in Canada
- you have a valid job offer
- you meet all other requirements to apply at the port of entry
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: