Help Centre what do you need help with?

Can I apply for a work permit from inside Canada?

Only in some cases. You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:

  • you, your spouse or parents have a valid study or work permit,
  • you have a work permit for one job but want to apply for a work permit for a different job,
  • you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more, or
  • you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada. You will have to pass certain stages in the main application process before you can be eligible for a work permit.

There are other requirements as well.

If you are already in Canada as a visitor, you may not apply within Canada. You must apply for a work permit at a Canadian visa office:

  • responsible for the country where you live,
  • responsible for the country you are a citizen of, or
  • at a Canadian embassy or consulate in the United States of America.

You may be asked to go for an in-person interview at that office. If so, make sure you have all the documents you need to enter that country.

You must check:

  • whether you need to fill out any other forms or provide any other documents, and
  • how to pay the fee (visa offices do not accept fee payment receipts from banks in Canada).

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Help tool

  • Come to Canada

How to video

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: