I applied for a new work permit. Can I stay in Canada if my work permit expires?
Yes, you can stay in Canada until we make a decision on your new work permit application. This is called maintained status.
You may also be authorized to work until we make a decision on your application. However, you must respect the following requirements:
If you applied for another work permit
You must stay in Canada and work under the conditions of your original work permit.
If you applied to extend or change your work permit before it expired, you’re authorized to keep working under the same conditions as your original permit until we make a decision on your application.
If you applied for a study permit or visitor record
You must stop working on day the original work permit expires.
For example, you may have come to Canada as a worker and then applied for a study permit. If so, you must stop working once your work permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit.
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
- Date modified: