What happens if I fail the written citizenship test?
Due to COVID-19, we cancelled
- all in-person citizenship tests
- We’re now inviting some applicants to take the citizenship test online.
- If you can’t or don’t want to do the online test, you may wait until in-person tests resume (date to be determined).
- most retests, interviews and hearings (including videoconference hearings)
- Wait for us to contact you.
- If you need to change your appointment, contact the office that sent the invitation.
- The contact information is in the letter we sent.
If you do not pass the second test, we’ll send you a notice telling you to appear for a hearing with a citizenship officer.
During this hearing, the citizenship officer may assess if you meet all the requirements for citizenship. During an oral interview, the citizenship officer may
- test your knowledge of Canada and our history
- ask questions about your residency in Canada
- assess if you have adequate knowledge of English or French
If you’re asked to attend an interview, but applied for citizenship with your family by sending your applications in the same envelope, your application will be processed separately from your family’s unless you want them to be processed together.
Answers others found useful
- What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen?
- I already have a citizenship application in process. How will the 2015 changes to the citizenship legislation affect my application?
- Do I become a Canadian when I marry a Canadian?
- How much does it cost to apply for Canadian citizenship?
- I am a citizen of another country. Will I lose that citizenship if I become a Canadian?
- What can I do if my citizenship application is refused?
- What should I do if I missed my citizenship test?
- Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
- What is a non-routine citizenship application?
- Do I have to use the travel journal?
- If I’m applying for citizenship, do I still have to submit the physical presence calculator if I submit the travel journal?
- If I’m transferring through different countries at the airport, or by car or train, do I need to record it in my travel journal?
- How do I get more copies of the travel journal?
- My application has been returned, because it’s incomplete. Do I have to recalculate my physical presence (time lived in Canada)?
- Date modified: