After I apply for citizenship, how long will it be before I write the citizenship test?
Due to COVID-19, we cancelled
- all in-person citizenship tests
- We’re now inviting some applicants to take the citizenship test online.
- If you can’t or don’t want to do the online test, you may wait until in-person tests resume (date to be determined).
- most retests, interviews and hearings (including videoconference hearings)
- Wait for us to contact you.
- If you need to change your appointment, contact the office that sent the invitation.
- The contact information is in the letter we sent.
The time between submitting your application and writing the citizenship test can be different for everyone. It depends on your case and on our processing times.
We will mail you a notice letting you know the time and location of your test. This is your official confirmation that you will be taking the citizenship test.
Check your application status to see when we mailed your notices.
If you move to a new address, you must tell us. Update your address online.
If you need urgent processing, check to see if you qualify.
Answers others found useful
- What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen?
- I already have a citizenship application in process. How will the 2015 changes to the citizenship legislation affect my application?
- Do I become a Canadian when I marry a Canadian?
- How much does it cost to apply for Canadian citizenship?
- I am a citizen of another country. Will I lose that citizenship if I become a Canadian?
- What can I do if my citizenship application is refused?
- What should I do if I missed my citizenship test?
- Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
- What is a non-routine citizenship application?
- Do I have to use the travel journal?
- If I’m applying for citizenship, do I still have to submit the physical presence calculator if I submit the travel journal?
- If I’m transferring through different countries at the airport, or by car or train, do I need to record it in my travel journal?
- How do I get more copies of the travel journal?
- My application has been returned, because it’s incomplete. Do I have to recalculate my physical presence (time lived in Canada)?
- Date modified: