Help Centre what do you need help with?

I am Canadian but my child (under 18) was born outside Canada. Are they Canadian?

Your child is likely a Canadian citizen if at least 1 parent

  • was born in Canada, or
  • became a naturalized Canadian citizen before the child was born

To find out for sure, apply for a citizenship certificate for your child.

Help tool

  • Discover Canada Study Guide

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: