What documents should I send with my application for a citizenship certificate (also known as proof of citizenship)?
When you apply for a citizenship certificate, you must include supporting documents. See Documents You Must Send With Your Application for the complete list.
If you are applying for a citizenship certificate for the first time, you must send original documents or certified photocopies. If you are applying for a replacement certificate, you can send photocopies of your documents.
If you are a Canadian citizen because you were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent, you will have to provide:
- A birth certificate that was issued by the government in the country where you were born and that lists your parents’ names;
- Evidence that one parent was a Canadian citizen at the time of your birth.
If you were born in Canada, the birth certificate issued by the province or territory where you were born is your proof of Canadian citizenship.
Birth certificates issued by the Government of Quebec before January 1, 1994, are no longer accepted when you apply for a citizenship certificate. For more information, contact the Directeur de l’état civil du Québec.
Answers others found useful
- What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen?
- I already have a citizenship application in process. How will the 2015 changes to the citizenship legislation affect my application?
- Do I become a Canadian when I marry a Canadian?
- How much does it cost to apply for Canadian citizenship?
- I am a citizen of another country. Will I lose that citizenship if I become a Canadian?
- What can I do if my citizenship application is refused?
- What should I do if I missed my citizenship test?
- Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
- What is a non-routine citizenship application?
- Do I have to use the travel journal?
- If I’m applying for citizenship, do I still have to submit the physical presence calculator if I submit the travel journal?
- If I’m transferring through different countries at the airport, or by car or train, do I need to record it in my travel journal?
- How do I get more copies of the travel journal?
Form and guide
- Date modified: