I’m a temporary resident, can I apply to adopt a child from another country?
No. In order to be eligible to adopt a child from another country you must either be a Canadian citizens or a permanent residents. Temporary residents are not eligible to apply for sponsorship to adopt a child.
Answers others found useful
- Can I adopt a child from countries experiencing armed conflict or natural disasters?
- How long will the adoption process take?
- Will my child automatically have a right to a Canadian passport once they get citizenship?
- Do the criteria for permanent residence and for a grant of citizenship differ for adopted children?
- Should I apply for permanent residence for my adopted child, rather than Canadian citizenship?
- I have applied for permanent residence for my adopted child. Is it too late to apply for citizenship instead?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: