How does adoption affect my child’s relationship with her or his biological parents?
For both the immigration and citizenship process, an adoption is valid only if it ends the child’s legal relationship with the biological parents, and a new legal relationship is established between the adopting parents and the adopted child.
This means the child cannot later sponsor his/her biological relatives to come to Canada.
Answers others found useful
- Can I adopt a child from countries experiencing armed conflict or natural disasters?
- How long will the adoption process take?
- Will my child automatically have a right to a Canadian passport once he or she gets citizenship?
- Do the criteria for permanent residence and for a grant of citizenship differ for adopted children?
- Should I apply for permanent residence for my adopted child, rather than Canadian citizenship?
- I have applied for permanent residence for my adopted child. Is it too late to apply for citizenship instead?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: