Language selection


Help Centre what do you need help with?

Can non-residents of Canada who are conducting genealogical research access family records held by Canadian federal institutions?

No. Only Canadian citizens and permanent residents can make a request for information under the Access to Information Act and the Privacy Act. However, you may ask a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident to submit an Access to Information request on your behalf. Keep in mind that the records will be mailed to the requester within Canada. It is also important to note that we require written consent (signed and dated) or proof of executorship, if the individual whose personal information is being sought has been deceased for less than 20 years.

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date modified: