Help Centre what do you need help with?

How can I extend my stay as a worker?

If you’re an International Experience Canada participant, see Extend or change your work permit – International Experience Canada.

You should apply at least 30 days before your current status expires if you want to extend your stay as a worker in Canada.

For more information, see the page Extend or change the conditions on your work permit.

Your employer may need to apply for a new Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which is a document from Employment and Social Development Canada that says the employer is allowed to hire you.

If you are exempt from the LMIA process, your employer will need to pay the employer compliance fee and submit a new offer of employment through the Employer Portal.

For more information, see Extend a temporary worker’s permit.

It’s possible that you will not be able to enter Canada. The final decision is made at the border by the border services officer.

See also How can I extend my stay as visitor? and How can I extend my stay as a student?

Answers others found useful

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: