How can I extend my stay as a worker?
If you’re an International Experience Canada participant, see Extend or change your work permit – International Experience Canada.
You should apply at least 30 days before your current status expires if you want to extend your stay as a worker in Canada.
For more information, see the page Extend or change the conditions on your work permit.
Your employer may need to apply for a new Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which is a document from Employment and Social Development Canada that says the employer is allowed to hire you.
If you are exempt from the LMIA process, your employer will need to pay the employer compliance fee and submit a new offer of employment through the Employer Portal.
For more information, see Extend a temporary worker’s permit.
It’s possible that you will not be able to enter Canada. The final decision is made at the border by the border services officer.
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
Form and guide
- Date modified: