Do I need a permit to study in Canada?
You should apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. Only some people can apply for a study permit from within Canada. Before you apply, you must have a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution in Canada.
How you can apply for a study permit depends on if you’re applying from outside Canada, inside Canada or at the port of entry. Find out what options are available for you.
Your study permit isn’t a travel document. Your permit lets you study in Canada, but you may also need a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. If we approve your study permit, we’ll also give you either a visitor visa or an eTA, depending on which document you need. This document will let you enter Canada.
Find out more about how to apply for a study permit.
Answers others found useful
- I am an international student in Canada. Can I work while studying?
- As a foreign student, can I return home or travel outside Canada while studying?
- When should I apply for my study permit?
- How do I apply for a study permit?
- I’ve applied to extend my study permit. Can I travel outside Canada and be able to return?
- I want to change my school or study program. How can I change my study permit?
Form and guide
- Date modified: