Help Centre what do you need help with?

I want to study in Canada for less than 6 months. Do I need a study permit?

No, you don’t need a study permit if your course or study program lasts less than 6 months. You must complete your course or program within the time you’re allowed to stay in Canada.

Even if you don’t need a study permit, you may want to apply for one. If you want to work while you’re studying, or you decide to study longer in Canada, you’ll need a study permit. You must be studying at a designated learning institution to get a study permit.

If your main reason for coming to Canada is to study for more than 6 months, you must apply for a study permit.

If you decide to apply for a study permit while you’re in Canada

Only some people can apply for a study permit from inside Canada. You may need to apply for your study permit as though you’re outside of Canada. You may need to leave Canada to go for an interview. If you do, make sure you bring all the documents you need to both enter the other country and to return to Canada.

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: