I want to study in Canada for less than 6 months. Do I need a study permit?
It depends on where you’re applying from.
If you’re applying from outside of Canada
Due to COVID-19, if you want to study in Canada for 6 months or less, you’re now required to
- get a study permit and
- attend a DLI with a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by its province or territory
You won’t be able to travel to Canada if you don’t have a study permit and your DLI isn’t on the approved list.
If you’re already in Canada
No. If you’re already in Canada, you don’t need a study permit for a course or study program that lasts 6 months or less. You must get a study permit if you want to study for longer than 6 months.
Answers others found useful
- Do I need a permit to study in Canada?
- I am an international student in Canada. Can I work while studying?
- As a foreign student, can I return home or travel outside Canada while studying?
- When should I apply for my study permit?
- How do I apply for a study permit?
- I’ve applied to extend my study permit. Can I travel outside Canada and be able to return?
- I want to change my school or study program. How can I change my study permit?
Form and guide
- Date modified: