Can I stay in Canada after my study permit expires, if I have applied for a new permit?
Yes. You may remain in Canada as a temporary resident until we make a decision on your new permit application, as long as your application to extend was submitted prior to the expiry of your authorized stay.
If the new application was submitted to renew your study permit:
- You may stay in Canada and continue studying as per the conditions of your original study permit until we decide on your application.
If the new application was submitted for a different type of temporary resident status (e.g., work permit):
- On the expiry of your study permit you must stop any of the activities stated in the original study permit once the permit expires. For example, you may have come to Canada as a student and then applied for a work permit. If so, you must stop studying once your study permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit.
Answers others found useful
- Do I need a permit to study in Canada?
- I am an international student in Canada. Can I work while studying?
- As a foreign student, can I return home or travel outside Canada while studying?
- When should I apply for my study permit?
- How do I apply for a study permit?
- I’ve applied to extend my study permit. Can I travel outside Canada and be able to return?
- I want to change my school or study program. How can I change my study permit?
Form and guide
- Date modified: