As a foreign student, can I return home or travel outside Canada while studying?
Yes. However, your study permit is not a travel document. It doesn’t give you the right to travel to or enter Canada. Along with your permit, you may need:
Depending on where you’re from, you may only need your passport. Make sure you know which document you need to travel to and enter Canada.
Having the travel document you need also doesn’t guarantee you’ll be allowed back into Canada. You still must show the border services officer that you meet all the requirements before we’ll let you re-enter.
If you need a visitor visa to enter Canada
Make sure the one you have will still be valid when you return to Canada. If it won’t be valid, you must apply to extend it before you leave Canada.
Read more about travelling while you are a student.
Answers others found useful
- Do I need a permit to study in Canada?
- I am an international student in Canada. Can I work while studying?
- When should I apply for my study permit?
- How do I apply for a study permit?
- I’ve applied to extend my study permit. Can I travel outside Canada and be able to return?
- I want to change my school or study program. How can I change my study permit?
- Date modified: