I’m an international student in Canada. Can I work while studying?
You may be eligible to work in Canada while studying, if your study permit includes a condition that says you can work on or off campus. You must also meet all the other requirements. You can only start working in Canada when you start your study program. You can’t work before your studies begin.
Work on or off campus
Work as a co-op student or intern
You will need to get a work permit if your study program includes a required co-op or internship placement. Find out how to apply for a co-op work permit.
Work after you graduate
You may also be able to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) to continue working in Canada after you graduate. Find out if you’re eligible for a PGWP.
Answers others found useful
- Do I need a permit to study in Canada?
- As a foreign student, can I return home or travel outside Canada while studying?
- When should I apply for my study permit?
- How do I apply for a study permit?
- I’ve applied to extend my study permit. Can I travel outside Canada and be able to return?
- I want to change my school or study program. How can I change my study permit?
Form and guide
- Date modified: