As an international student, can I work in Canada without a work permit?
If you have a study permit and are enrolled full-time in an eligible institution:
- you may work on-campus without a work permit.
If you have a study permit and are enrolled full-time in an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution:
- you may work off campus without a work permit.
If you receive your study permit after June 1:
- your study permit will indicate if you are able to work off campus. If so, you are allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week while:
- your program is in session, and
- full-time during scheduled breaks in the academic calendar.
You may work for any employer in Canada who is not on the ineligible employer list.
You must have the appropriate work permit in order to take part in a co-op or internship program. You also must apply for a post-graduation work permit in order to work in Canada after your studies. For more details, see Work Permits for Students.
Form and guide
- Date modified: