How long is a post-graduation work permit valid?
A post-graduation work permit (PGWP) may be valid anywhere between eight months and up to three years. The length of your permit will depend on the length of the study program you completed in Canada. The permit won’t be longer than the length of your study program. Find out more about how long a PGWP can be valid.
If your passport expires before your PGWP should
Make sure your passport is valid for the entire length of time you should be eligible for. If your passport expires earlier:
- we’ll only issue you a PGWP that’s valid until your passport expires
- we’ll tell you if you need to extend it to get the full validity
You can only extend a PGWP if we tell you to. If this happens, you have to apply on paper to extend your PGWP so that it’ll be valid for the full length it should be.
Answers others found useful
- Do I need a permit to study in Canada?
- I am an international student in Canada. Can I work while studying?
- As a foreign student, can I return home or travel outside Canada while studying?
- When should I apply for my study permit?
- How do I apply for a study permit?
- I’ve applied to extend my study permit. Can I travel outside Canada and be able to return?
- I want to change my school or study program. How can I change my study permit?
- What do I do if the school I’m studying at loses its designated learning institution status?
Form and guide
- Date modified: