Should I apply for a study permit when I get an eTA or a visa?
No. Depending on your citizenship, you may need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa, as well as a study permit. Your eTA or visa will be issued to you at the same time as your study permit. You do not need to apply separately or to pay an additional fee.
You may also need to give biometrics. Citizens from 29 countries and 1 territory need to give biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when they apply for a visa.
Answers others found useful
- Do I need a permit to study in Canada?
- I am an international student in Canada. Can I work while studying?
- As a foreign student, can I return home or travel outside Canada while studying?
- When should I apply for my study permit?
- How do I apply for a study permit?
- I’ve applied to extend my study permit. Can I travel outside Canada and be able to return?
- I want to change my school or study program. How can I change my study permit?
A Step-by-step look at biometrics
Form and guide
- Date modified: