What makes a job offer valid under Express Entry?
Generally, a valid offer is for a job that is:
- full-time and non-seasonal,
- for at least one year,
- in a skilled job listed as Skill Type 0, or Skill Level A or B in the 2016 National Occupational Classification.
A job offer must be in writing, and must set out details of the job they are offering you, such as:
- your pay and deductions
- your job duties
- conditions of employment, like your hours of work.
In most cases, a valid job offer must be supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). The employer has to apply for one from Employment and Social Development Canada/Service Canada.
If they get a positive LMIA, they must give you a copy and a written job offer.
In some cases, your employer does not need an LMIA to support your job offer. Find out more about jobs that are exempt.
Under Express Entry, a valid job offer will give you additional points in the Comprehensive Ranking System.
A work permit on its own is not a job offer, even if it is an open work permit.
When you create your Express Entry profile, include the LMIA number to show that you have a valid job offer.
If you get invited to apply, we may ask you for the original document, so keep it in a safe place.
A job offer is not valid if your employer is:
- an embassy, high commission or consulate in Canada, or
- on the list of ineligible employers.
If your employer is not eligible, does not get a positive LMIA, or is not LMIA-exempt you will not meet the requirements of a valid job offer for arranged employment.
Answers others found useful
- What do you mean by Primary Occupation?
- Why didn’t I get points for my job offer in Express Entry?
- I have a job offer but the system says I need to register in Job Bank. Why?
- I am working in Canada on a valid work permit. Does this count as a job offer?
- I am working in Canada on a post-graduation work permit. Do I need a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- Can I count work experience that was part of my education toward the work requirement?
How to videos
- Date modified: