How often will I need to go in person to give my fingerprints and photo?
If you apply for a visitor visa, study permit or work permit, you’ll only need to give your biometrics once every 10 years. We’ll keep your biometrics on file for the next application you make within a 10-year period.
If you apply for permanent residence, you’ll need to give biometrics each time you apply.
Answers others found useful
- If you return my application, will I get a refund?
- How do I fill out and validate IRCC application forms with 2D barcodes?
- Why won’t my application form let me save my information or digitally sign it?
- How can I check if my application has been received?
- What happens after I send in my application?
- What is a UCI?
- What is an application number?
- How can I find a doctor to provide my medical exam?
- How can I get my citizenship application processed urgently?
- How can I get help with my application?
A Step-by-step look at biometrics
Form and guide
- Date modified: