How long must I stay in Canada to keep my permanent resident status?
To keep your permanent resident status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days don’t need to be continuous. Some of your time abroad may count towards the 730 days. See can my time abroad count towards my permanent resident status?
To help you track your time in Canada, use a travel journal.
Answers others found useful
- What happens if my PR card expires while I am outside Canada?
- I’m a new permanent resident of Canada. Do I need to apply for a PR card?
- How long will it take to process my PR card?
- I need to leave Canada and I do not have a PR card. Can I later re-enter Canada?
- How do I renew my PR card?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: