How long can I work in Canada as a temporary worker?
There is no set maximum amount of time you can work in Canada as a temporary worker. The length of time you can work depends on:
- the job offer from your employer
- the length of time listed on your Labour Market Impact Assessment, if your employer needed to get one to hire you
- how long your passport is valid for
If you will be working in Quebec as a temporary worker, you may need to get a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ). The CAQ will show the length of time you are allowed to work in Quebec. If you are exempt from the LMIA process, you don’t need to get a CAQ.
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: