What is a port of entry (POE) letter?
It’s a letter you may receive from IRCC if you’ve been approved for a
- study permit
- work permit or
- super visa (if you’re from a country that doesn’t require a visitor visa)
Officially, it’s called the port of entry (POE) letter of introduction. But this letter is sometimes called the
- correspondence letter
- introduction letter
- introductory letter
The letter of introduction is not your study or work permit.
You’ll get this letter if you were approved and you
- applied online or
- gave us your email address in your study or work permit application
COVID-19: proof that your application was approved
Due to COVID-19 travel restrictions, you must have proof that you’ve been approved for a work or study permit to board your flight. You can show the airline staff your
- letter of introduction or
- visitor visa, if you have one (also called a temporary resident visa)
- your visitor visa will say that you are approved for a study or work permit
If you didn’t get a letter or a visitor visa
Once we start processing your application, you can link your paper application to your online account to get a copy of the letter. If your application is approved, you’ll find the letter in the “Messages about your application” section in your online account.
When you arrive in Canada
Tell the officer at the port of entry about your approved application.
If you don’t have a printed copy of your letter of introduction, you can show
- an electronic version or
- the visitor visa in your passport, if you have one
Answers others found useful
- Do I need a permit to study in Canada?
- I am an international student in Canada. Can I work while studying?
- As a foreign student, can I return home or travel outside Canada while studying?
- When should I apply for my study permit?
- How do I apply for a study permit?
- I’ve applied to extend my study permit. Can I travel outside Canada and be able to return?
- I want to change my school or study program. How can I change my study permit?
- What do I do if the school I’m studying at loses its designated learning institution status?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: