Can I come to Canada before I receive my POE Letter?
IEC participants: Requirements for travel to Canada
We strongly recommend you wait until you receive your Port of Entry (POE) Letter before travelling to Canada. If you do not have your POE Letter when you arrive at a Canadian port of entry, you will not get a work permit. The Border Services Officer will decide if you may be admitted as a visitor (tourist). As a visitor, you are not allowed to work.
If you are in Canada when you receive your POE Letter, you must:
- leave the country, and
- re-enter at any port of entry to receive your work permit.
If you plan to leave and re-enter Canada through the United States, you must meet US immigration requirements. Contact the nearest US Embassy or Consulate to find out if you meet these requirements.
Answers others found useful
- What type of insurance do I need for International Experience Canada?
- Can I change employers if I have an International Experience Canada work permit?
- Can I extend my International Experience Canada work permit?
- Can I stay in Canada as a tourist after my work permit expires?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date modified: