New applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online
At this time, if you’re applying for a visitor visa, study permit or work permit, apply online.
Due to service disruptions related to COVID-19, we are experiencing difficulties receiving and processing applications submitted by mail or in person at a VAC.
Do you live in China, India, Morocco, Pakistan, the Philippines, Senegal or Vietnam? You might be able to get your study permit faster by applying online through the Student Direct Stream.
To apply for a study permit you can:
You must have:
- Access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents to upload, and
- A valid credit card to pay with
Apply online for a study permit
Apply on paper
Read the instruction guide to get all the details to apply on paper.
Once you have read the guide, you can prepare your application package. You must select the country/territory from which you will be applying to get your local visa office instructions.
This application package is for applicants in Canada:
- Document Checklist: Study Permit [IMM 5483] (PDF, 1.08 MB) (opens in a new tab)
- Application for a Study Permit made outside of Canada
- Family Information Form [IMM 5707] (PDF, 1.55 MB) (opens in a new tab)
- Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409] (PDF, 2.22 MB) (opens in a new tab)
- Custodian Declaration [IMM 5646] (PDF, 2.43 MB) (opens in a new tab)
- Visa application photograph specifications
- Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 1.39 MB) (opens in a new tab)
Everyone must fill out and sign their own form, including those travelling as a family. If you are under the age of 18, your parent or guardian must sign your form.
Prepare a complete application
To make sure you submit all the pages of form IMM 1294 with your application package, follow these steps:
- Click the “Validate” button at the top or bottom of the form.
Note: Validating the form before printing makes sure that you have answered all the questions. This will help you to avoid delays in processing your application.
- A last page with barcodes and a signature line will automatically be created.
- Print, sign and date the form.
- For best results:
- print on white, bond-quality, non-glossy paper and
- use a laser printer.
- Place the barcode page on top of your package. If you have more than one package, place a separate barcode page on each one.
Find out more about barcode form.
Pay your fees
You must include the fee with your application. Find out how to pay your fees.
- Date modified: